Pages

Wednesday 4 April 2012

A cooking misadventure?

Yesterday I visited my local ASDA, and came across some reduced price cherry tomatoes and an avocado, although I knew that I could probably get these cheaper elsewhere, I just couldn't bring myself to walk past them so ended up buying them on a whim.

Only problem is, what to do with them? Its only the second time I've tried avocado (apart from in shop bought guacamole) and my trusty vegetarian student cook book didn't help (avocados are a bit too 'sophisticated' for the average student!). Then I remembered a book bought for me as a birthday present- Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food. I love Nigel Slater's programmes and find it refreshing just how simple his recipes are- I get really annoyed by chiefs who seem to use a thousand and one different items in their recipes- it's the reason why my kitchen is full of herbs and spices that were destined to only be used once.  However I don't use the book that often as it has no pictures in it, and I like to see pictures of meals; it helps me decided if I want to cook it or not! The one thing that the book is useful for is that it lists recipes by the main ingredient which is what you need if you go out buying avocados on whims, so I though I would look to see if there was anything that took my fancy.

I stumbled upon a recipe for avocado with warm bacon vinaigrette, and decide to give it a go, it also required tomatoes so I could also use the cherry tomatoes I bought as well.

I decided to make some small adjustments to the recipe, it called for white wine vinegar but I already some balsamic in so decided to use that instead and I used Quorn bacon in replacement of the recommended streaky bacon.



Thoughts.
It was OK, didn't make me sick so that is always a plus, however I didn't eat it all as I got quite bored about  3/4 of the way through. I was surprised how hard the avocado actually was, and I'm not too sure if it was a good idea to use the balsamic instead of white wine vinegar. I'm not too sure if I would make this again, if I did I would probably try it with white wine vinegar.

You're probably wondering why I decided to put this up on the blog if I wasn't entirely convinced by it. I just wanted to shared my 'lessons learnt' and also show that everyone makes a hash of things sometimes- so don't worry if you carefully planned meal turns out like dog food!

No comments:

Post a Comment