Pages

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Nexus Art Cafe

I decided to make an impromptu visit to one of my favourite cafes today located in the Northern Quarter in Manchester.

When I first saw the Nexus, I didn't realise what it was. Out one night I walked past a peculiar building that had a set of stairs behind a glass window. On the stairs were various items, one being a kettle, the identity of the other items escapes me- I was transfixed on the kettle!

It was only when a friend invited me to her jewellery making workshop a few years back that I realised that strange building was the home of Nexus Art Cafe, and the set of stairs behind the glass window is used to exhibit various pieces of art. At the entrance to Nexus, you walk down a separate set of stairs into a basement and it is there you enter the Cafe.

Nexus is a not-for-profit creative community space and an exhibition centre for budding artists of many forms. Whenever I go in, there is always something new to look at, and even the design of the menu painted on the wall is constantly changing. It is the only place I will go if I am eating out alone, or fancy a drink, as I don't feel like a complete weirdo, and you can often find lots of other lone diners just relaxing in the little haven.

Today I found myself in the middle of town, stomach rumbling and decided to drop in for a bite to eat before embarking on the cycle journey home.  I had my heart set on a F.O.S.H sandwich (Falafel, Olives, Spinach and Hummus), but then I spotted their new 'lite bites' menu, which consists of various mini dishes accompanied by rye bread and a salad, it was £2 for one dish but then £1.50 extra for each extra dishes. I settled on the spicy falafel and sweet onion hummus.

It arrived on a wooden slab; their was two rammikins- one containing falafel and the other sweet onion hummus. The falafel was disappointingly unspicy but were nice all the same.  The sweet onion in the hummus was delicious, especially when spread on the brown rye bread (which there was plenty of).  It was definitely chickpea heaven!

If you are in Manchester, and you fancy a bite to eat, a drink or just a sit down to read that book you've just purchased I would definitely recommend Nexus.  The only downside is that it is a bit on the pricey side, but as it is a not-for-profit and the money goes towards it's charity work, I don't mind paying a little extra.

1 comment:

  1. I am well jel haha. Will have to check it out next time I am home!! Nom nom nom nom NOM!!

    ReplyDelete