Pages

Monday 24 September 2012

Special Egg Fried Rice

This is an adaptation of a recipe from September's Cook Vegetarian, it was for low fat special fried rice, using low fat cooking spray.  I heard low fat cooking spray tastes rank so I used sesame oil and  made other adjustments.



Ingredients (Serves 2)
-About 1/2 pints of long grain rice (I used brown rice)- seems an odd method of weighing out rice, but it works.  You want 1/4 pint of rice per person (I use a measuring jug to measure, it also equates to 1/2 of a ordinary mug) and you need to cook it in 1/2 pint of water to every 1/4 pint of rice.  Therefore for this recipe, I cooked the rice in 1 pint of water.
-Sesame oil
-2 free range eggs, beaten
-1 pepper de-seeded and finely sliced, I use frozen multi-coloured peppers
- other vegetables of your choice, as much as you desire- I used frozen peas, and I have a bag of frozen Thai vegetable I got from ASDA (they're really good!) sliced finely where necessary!
-1/2 cm of ginger peeled and grated
-1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce

1. Cook the rice, leave to cool
2. Pour some sesame oil in a frying pan and heat up. add the beaten egg and spread evenly over the base of the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes until you get something that resembles an omelette (without the milk!)
3. Remove egg from pan and cut into strips.
4. Add more oil if necessary and bring back up to heat. Add the all the vegetables, ginger and garlic and cook on a medium to high heat for 5 minutes or until done.
5. Add rice, egg strips and soy sauce and heat through for 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment