Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Cabbage Stir Fry with Ginger, Chilli and Garlic

I've not really got into cooking until the last year or so, OK I had some staples that I use to make on a weekly basis but that was about it.

Therefore, I tend to stick quite strictly to recipes and don't tend to try and use my own imagination. Hence why so many recipe posts on here are quoted from recipe books, magazines and websites. However I knew eventually that I would gain enough experience to give me the confidence to try and come up with my own ideas.

This week in my veg box I got some savoy cabbage, and decided to make a stir fry.  Along with Thai green curries, this is another regular meal in my kitchen! However, instead of looking up recipes for 'cabbage stir fry', which I normally would do, I decided to improvise and make my own way.  OK, so it's only a stir fry, but it's a step forward!


I made this twice this week, the first time I went a little OTT on the sesame oil and it was a little greasy, but second time was much better.  I used the outer leaves of the cabbage for this and then used the inner leaves, which are packed more closely and stay together better to make cabbage wedges.

Ingredients (serves 1)
Noodles (enough for one person, I used a brand that sold the noodles in a pack of 'nests' that were enough for one person per nest)
Sesame oil
2 handfuls of savoy cabbage (tough stem removed, stack leaves on top of each other, roll and chop to make cabbage 'ribbons')
Red onion (peeled and quartered)
1/2 a red chilli (sliced and de-seeded)
Ginger (as much as you like, peeled and grated)
One garlic clove (peeled and crushed)
Soy sauce

1. Cook noodles according package instructions, cooking for a minute less than needed so that they can finish cooking when you stir fry them. If you are organised, you can then drain and retain the water ready for the next step. One drained, put noodles back in the pan or bowl and toss in a little of the sesame oil.
2: If your cabbage leaves are quite tough, boil a pan of water (hence why you retained the water in step one), and the cabbage and simmer for a few minutes....
3. Whilst the cabbage is simmering, heat a little of the sesame oil in a wok/large frying pan. Then add in the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Allow to cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
4. Whilst the onion and spices are frying gently, drain the cabbage.
5. Add the cabbage to the spices and add a good drizzle of soy sauce. Stir fry until the cabbage has shrunk a little and a very glossy dark green. Add the noodles.
6. Mix together and stir fry for around a minute so everything is heated through.

Serve

You may want to add some cashews at the same time as the same time as the cabbage for a little extra protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment