Pages

Thursday 25 October 2012

Vegan Apple Cake

I have two apple trees in the garden at my new place, a eating apple tree and a cooking apple tree.

As eating apples are now in season, I have apples coming out of my ears!  Here are some I collected that had fallen off the tree:



There are still plenty on the tree and on the grass but given it is now winter I only have a small snippet of time to pick them after work. Although I may try and pick some over weekend.

The thing is, there are just TOO many, and a lot of them are too small or have imperfect skin so are unsuitable to take to work.  So I've had to think of other ways to use them up:

  1. Apple porridge with cinnamon: peel the apple and remove the core. Cut into small pieces. Place in bowl and microwave on highest setting for around a minute. Add porridge and milk/water (I've been using hazelnut drink) mix and cook as normal. Sprinkle with a little sugar and ground cinnamon.
  2. Vegan Chocolate Orange cupcakes 
Lisa at We Don't Eat Anything With a Face suggested that I should try her vegan apple cake recipe.  Now I'm not a fruit dessert fan, but this was a sponge cake, not the usual apple pie so I thought I would give it a go:

Apologies for the blurry photo. My camera has broke and so I am using my smart phone as a camera. After this one it refused to take any more for some strange reason!
It's lovely and moist, and uses every day ingredients (instead of special vegan ingredients) and have made it twice now. And somehow, I don't think this will be the last time I make it!


1 comment: