Pages

Thursday 18 October 2012

Thai Green Veggie Curry (vegan).

It's veg box delivery day tomorrow, so tonight is when the last of this week's veg needs using up.

One of my favourite ways of using up any veg that's lying around is a curry. Because you can put ANYTHING in it. Thai green curry is one of my favourites.

Tonight's Thai green curry consisted of:

Chard
Potatoes
Carrot
Frozen peas
Frozen baby corn

Mammoth portion!
I usually buy ASDA's own brand Thai curry paste as it happens to be vegetarian, but TESCOS' own brand is also really nice, and also veggie. I did try a more traditional paste I bought from a Chinese supermarket but it was HORRID and far too spicy!  Maybe when I finally get my mitts on a food processor I will try and make my own, if I can get hold of Kaffir lime leaves (apparently the frozen ones are a lot better than the dried ones).

Also when I make it, I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk. It makes far more creamier and less runny. The Boy uses double/or single cream (Elmlee do a low fat double 'cream' version). But I think that coconut cream makes it taste a lot more like it should do, and makes it creamier.  Yeah it adds on the calories, but then, the rest of the curry is just vegetables and you know, live a little ;-). Since the instructions on the back of a jar usually relate to chicken, I thought I would tell you how I do it, not that might is the only way :-)

Method:

For the rice:
Rice is pretty simple, but I've just started to use a new method to cook rice, I've found that using this method, I don't end up with rice stuck to the bottom of the pan!:

  1. Put rice in a lidded pan and heat for 1 or 2 minutes until fragrant 
  2. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt
  3. Add water and bring to boil.
  4. Simmer with lid on for 10-15 minutes, until nearly all the water is gone (when you can just about see little bubbles of water still simmering away. 
  5. Turn off heat and let rice steam with the lid on until all the water is gone
For the curry:
  1. Vegetables like potatoes and carrots will need boiling first for about 10 minutes (ensures that the veg is cooked through, I hate half cooked carrots- either give me cooked carrots, or raw carrots- not some minging in-between!). Then drain and set aside.
  2. Add a generous dollop of Thai green curry paste, I use 1/4 jar per person (ignore whatever measurement the instructions on the jar give!) to the pan and heat for a few minutes until fragrant.
  3. Add veggies that take longer to cook, like carrots and potatoes.
  4. Add the coconut cream and put a lid on the pan, simmer for around 10 minutes.
  5. Now add an veggies that don't take that long to cook, such as peas, baby corn and chard. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
Serve.

Yum.








No comments:

Post a Comment